From Michael Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Getting started with HBase
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:55:41 GMT
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, there is no way right now to use HBase in a
> "local" mode similar to the Hadoop "local" mode, where we don't have
> to start any daemons and all necessary infrastructure runs inside a
> single JVM. What would it take to implement such mode? Would it
> require big changes to the codebase?
Checkout MinHBaseCluster.  Its used in the bulk of the hbase unit
tests.  It runs a master and a configurable amount of region servers
each to its own thread.  Its modeled on MiniDFSCluster.  If the default
mode -- i.e. if the hbase.master was set to 'local' in hbase-default.xml
-- was to run a MiniHBaseCluster instance, would this suffice Andrzej?
Or do you need master and regionservers talking to each via direct
in-process method invocations rather than over sockets as is done in
"local" mapreduce?

Thanks,
St.Ack