From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Getting started with HBase
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:54:18 GMT
Dennis Kubes wrote:
> I am just getting started with HBase.  Thinking about using it for
> future Nutch development.  Have successfully build with ant scripts.  In
> the src I see conf and bin directories similar to Hadoop.  But in the
> build I don't see those.  Is there a build that I can drop into  a
> directory that contains the conf, webapps, libs, etc. or do I need to
> pull all of that together myself?

I'm also planning to start experimenting with HBase.

If I'm not mistaken, there is no way right now to use HBase in a "local"
mode similar to the Hadoop "local" mode, where we don't have to start
any daemons and all necessary infrastructure runs inside a single JVM.
What would it take to implement such mode? Would it require big changes
to the codebase?

The reason I'm asking is that we're considering using HBase in Nutch.
However, Nutch is quite often used in small single machine installation,
where it uses the "local" mode, i.e. LocalFileSystem and
LocalJobTracker. This simplified mode of operation is attractive in case
of such small installations, where the ease of use outweighs scalability
and performance concerns.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><