From Robert Jessop <rjes...@frd.co.uk>
Subject Using hadoop for distributed rendering
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:37:41 GMT
Hi there. I did a search of the mailing list archives looking for
something similar to this, but I didn't find anything so apologies if
this has been discussed before.

I'm investigating using Hadoop for distributed rendering. The Mapper
would define the tiles to be rendered and the nodes would render them
using the scene data (which is for the sake of argument, all wrapped up
in one big binary file on the HDFS). The reducer would take the output
tiles and stitch them together to form the final image. I have a system
that does this already but it doesn't have any of the advantages of a
distributed file system, there are lots of IO bottlenecks and
communication overheads. All the code is currently in C++.

Does this sound like a good use for Hadoop?
-Rob