From Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>
Subject Re: External jars revisited.
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:59:16 GMT
Ok, patch is submitted.  You can find it at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1622?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12517040

Just download and apply to the current 0.15 Hadoop source code.  Then in
your hadoop-site.xml file you will want to add the following
configuration variable and change according to your resources:

<property>
   <name>mapred.job.resources</name>
   <value>
     C:\TEST\jar1.jar,
     C:\FOLDER1\,
     C:\TEST\executable1.exe
   </value>
   <description>
   Any resources to be included in the mapreduce job.  Resources can be an
   absolute path to a jar file, the name of a jar file on the classpath,
the
   name of a class that is contained in jar file on the classpath, or an
   absolute path to a directory.  Resource values are comma separated.  All
   resources will be merged into the job.jar before the job is submitted.
   </description>
</property>

I already have this running on a development cluster so if you need help
getting it up and running, shoot me an email and we can figure it out
through email or IM.

Dennis Kubes

Daniel Wressle wrote:
> Sorry to spam you people to death, but going through the logs I noticed
> that I can instantiate the external API class without any problem. The
> NullPointerException is thrown when I try to call a *function* of that
> instance. So, the classes are recognized, in some way, by Hadoop.
>
> /D
>

> Daniel Wressle wrote:
>> Update,
>>
>> desperate to find a solution I've placed my dependencies on both
>> computers (in the hadoopxx-x/lib directory), everywhere in my job jar
>> file and pretty much everywhere I can think of that might rectify my
>> problem :).
>>
>> I am still plagued by the NullPointerException (unknown source) on my
>> slave machine. The same jar file maps and reduces without any errors
>> on my main machine (which is running the jobtracker and dfs-master).
>>
>> Somehow I feel I can't be the only person in the world who has used
>> external API's (as jar files) with Hadoop on more than one computer? :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
>>                                         System.out.println("Floodar på
>> " + fillX + "," + fillY);
>>

>> Daniel Wressle wrote:
>>> Hello Dennis, Ted and Christophe.
>>>
>>> I had, as a precaution, built my jar so that the lib/ directory
>>> contained both the actual jars AND the jars unzipped, i.e:
>>>
>>> lib/:
>>>
>>> foo.jar
>>> foo2.jar
>>> foo3.jar
>>> foo1/api/bar/gazonk/foo.class
>>> foo2/....
>>>
>>> Just to cover as much ground as possible.
>>>
>>> I do include a class in constructor call to the JobConf, but it is
>>> the name of *my* class (in this case, LogParser.class). Glancing at
>>> the constructor in the API I can not seem to use this constructor to
>>> tell the JobConf which additional classes to expect.
>>>
>>> Dennis, your patch sounds _very_ interesting. How would I go about
>>> acquiring it when it is done? :)
>>>
>>> Thank you for your time and responses.
>>> /Daniel

So far,