From Raghu Angadi <rang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Question on relocation of Hadoop cluster
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 03:49:59 GMT
Taeho Kang wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Due to limited space in current datacenter, I am trying to move my Hadoop
> cluster to a new datacenter.
> In the new datacenter, each machine will keep its hostname, but each will be
> assigned to a new ip address.
> We should be able to edit our DNS to assign existing hostnames to new ip
> addresses.
>
> My understanding is that namenode keeps track of a datanode with an ip
> address, not a hostname.
> (According to the description found on for "private String hostName" in
> DatanodeInfo.java class)

Namenode keeps track of these just as convenience for the admins. In
fact in trunk it does not store any datanode info. So its ok even if
both hostnames and ipaddress change. Only side effect is that if the
ipaddresses change you will all the old ip listed under 'dead nodes' on
webui (which will go away when you upgrade to 0.15.x).

> Thus, the datanode / block info will be obsolete if the Hadoop cluster is
> moved unless we do modify all the datanode / block info in the namenode....

I don't think so.

> The solutions that I can think of right now is...

Could you state the problem again? Essentially you have to move the data
to new datacenter.

Raghu.