From "Joydeep Sen Sarma" <jssa...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: ipc.client.timeout
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:13:42 GMT
I would love to use a lower timeout. It seems that retries are either
buggy or missing in some cases - that cause lots of failures. The cases
I can see right now (0.13.1):

- namenode.complete: looks like it retries - but may not be idempotent?

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException: Could not
complete write to file
00003.crc by DFSClient_task_0018_r_000003_0
	at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.complete(NameNode.java:353)

- namenode.addBlock: no retry policy (looking at DFSClient.java)
- namenode.mkdirs: no retry policy ('')

We see plenty of all of these with a lowered timeout. With a high
timeout - we have seen very slow recovery from some failures (jobs would
hang on submission).

Don't understand the fs protocol well enough - any idea if these are

-----Original Message-----
From: Devaraj Das [mailto:ddas@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 1:00 AM
To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: ipc.client.timeout

This is to take care of cases where a particular server is too loaded to
respond to client RPCs quick enough. Setting the timeout to a large
ensures that RPCs won't timeout that often and thereby potentially lead
lesser failures (for e.g., a map/reduce task kills itself when it fails
invoke an RPC on the tasktracker for three times in a row) and retries.

View raw message