From "Joydeep Sen Sarma" <jssa...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: Multiple HDFS paths and Multiple Masters...
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:55:21 GMT
I used to work in Netapp HA group - so can explain the single drive
failure stuff a bit (although the right forum is the
toasters@mathworks.com mailing list).

The shelves are supposed to bypass failed drives (the shelf re-routes
the FC loop when it detects failed drives). However, there were rare
drive failure modes where the drive would malfunction - but not in a way
detectable by the shelf - leading to the entire FC-loop malfunctioning -
and leading to multi-disk failure. The disks are dual attached - but in
this failure mode - they would take out both loops.

That said - this is circa 2004/5. New generation shelves fixed the
problems, as well as Netapp was asking shelf vendors for software
interface to power-cycle failed drives (so that netapp software could
take out bad drives by hard power-reset instead of relying on shelf
firmware). I don't know the current status.

In general - one of the big value adds of using Netapp (or EMC for that
matter) is their extensive understanding of drive/shelf failure modes
and the ability to proactively predict and take safeguard actions
against such failures.

Regarding RAID mirroring - well - it actually protects against cases
like this (since Netapp always puts mirrored copies on different
shelves/loops - thereby protecting against shelf/loop failure). But
RAID-4/5 (or netapp dual-parity) with backups and/or replication is a
good alternative (with somewhat lower availability guarantees and
performance)

Hope this helps ..