From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@veoh.com>
Subject Re: Use HDFS as a long term storage solution?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 20:27:32 GMT

You can definitely use HDFS without map/reduce.  It should be pretty easy to
use it from a variety of languages as well, although it is unlikely that
there are language bindings available off the shelf.

It is very frustrating to have two kinds of data store, but if you are doing
two kinds of thing, it might just be justified.  If you look at the
different priorities of the team, you will have a pretty simple inference as
to what the strengths of the platforms will be.  With Mogile, the goal is
serving content sites with high reliability from a variety of languages
without implementing anything more complicated than needed.  They ignore
issues like how to place tasks to process data efficiently.  With HDFS, the
goal is to facilitate large-scale computation.  The result is much less
focused on the operational issues that will arise if you are trying to keep
data alive for years at a time.