From David Savage <dave.sav...@paremus.com>
Subject Hadoop in an OSGi environment
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 16:04:55 GMT
Hi All,

Just popping my head up over the lurkers parapet for a second to let you
know about some development work I've been doing regarding getting
Hadoop to run in an OSGi environment.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this post. I did consider sending
this to the hadoop-dev list but on inspection of the traffic there it
seemed to be mostly Jira issue tracking of which this is not yet a part....

In order to get Hadoop to work in an OSGi environment I had to make a
couple of changes to the Hadoop core, mostly with regard to better
handling of classloading in the TaskTracker$Child process.

Attached is a patch file of the changes I made which is compiled against
the 0.14.0 svn tag - comments are included at each diff point to explain
what I'm doing. Obviously really happy for these changes to be added to
Hadoop or for you to suggest any other changes or improvements.

Short background with some product placement - please skip if not in
slightest bit interested...

The background to this work was to get Hadoop running against our
product Infiniflow of which there is an opensource component - Newton
(http://newton.codecauldron.org).

Newton is a distributed runtime based on OSGi which handles runtime
deployment and failover of SCA composites over a compute fabric (our
marketing term for bunch of hetrogenous servers).

Final blurb...

If anyone is able to make it I should hopefully be presenting some of
this work at the NYJavaSIG on 17th October at a session entitled "OSGi
In The Enterprise".

Regards,

Dave Savage
Software Engineer
Paremus Ltd
http://www.paremus.com
http://www.codecauldron.org

Paremus Limited. Registered in England
 No. 4181472
 Registered Office: St Alphage House, 2 Fore Street, London, EC2Y 5DH Postal Address: 107-111
Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2AB
The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.