From C G <parallel...@yahoo.com>
Subject Multiple HDFS paths and Multiple Masters...
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:00:44 GMT
Hi All:

  Two quick questions, thanks for any guidance...

  I'd like to run nodes with around 2T of local disk set up as JBOD.  So I would have 4 separate
file systems per machine, for example /hdfs_a, /hdfs_b, /hdfs_c, /hdfs_d .  Is it possible
to configure things so that HDFS knows about all 4 file systems? Since we're using HDFS replication
I see no point in using RAID-anything...to me that's the whole point of replication  Comments?

  Is it possible to set things up in Hadoop to run multiple masters?  Is there any point/benefit
reason for so-doing?  Can I run multiple namenodes to guard against a single namenode going
down or being wrecked?

  If you can't run multiple namenodes, then that sort of implies the machine which is hosting
*the* namenode needs to do all the traditional things to protect against data loss/corruption,
including frequent backups, RAID mirroring, etc.

  Thanks,
  C G