From Ross Boucher <bouc...@apple.com>
Subject Re: hardware specs for hadoop nodes
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:18:57 GMT

On Sep 25, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Michael Bieniosek wrote:

> For our CPU-bound application, I set the value of
> mapred.tasktracker.tasks.maximum (number of map tasks per
> tasktracker) equal to the number of CPUs on a tasktracker.
> Unfortunately, I think this value has to be set per cluster, not
> per machine.  This is okay for us because our machines have similar
> hardware, but it might be a problem if your machines have different
> numbers of CPUs.

I did some experimentation with the number of tasks per machine on a
set of quad core boxes.  I couldn't figure out how to change this
value without stopping the cluster and restarting it, and I also
couldn't figure out how to tune it on a per machine basis (though it
didn't matter much for me either).

My test had no reduce phase, so I simply set the reduce count to 1
per machine for all the tests.  On the quad core boxes, 5 map tasks
per machine actually performed the best, but only marginally better
than 4 map tasks (about 4% with just one box in the cluster, 2% with
4 boxes). Six tasks started to trend back in the other direction.