From "Joydeep Sen Sarma" <jssa...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: secondary namenode errors
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 07:59:03 GMT
Thanks for replying.

Can you please clarify - is it the case that the secondary namenode
stuff only works in 0.13.1? and what's the connection with replication
factor?

We lost the file system completely once, trying to make sure we can
avoid it the next time.

Joydeep

-----Original Message-----
From: Raghu Angadi [mailto:rangadi@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:44 PM
To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: secondary namenode errors

On a related note, please don't use 0.13.0, use the latest released
version for 0.13 (I think it is 0.13.1). If the secondary namenode
actually works, then it will resulting all the replications set to 1.

Raghu.

Joydeep Sen Sarma wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> Would be grateful if someone can help us understand why our secondary
> namenodes don't seem to be doing anything:
>

> 1.	running 0.13.0
> 2.	secondary namenode logs continuously spew:
>

>         at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:471)
>
>         at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Invoker.invoke(RPC.java:165)
>
>         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.$Proxy0.rollEditLog(Unknown Source)
>
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.dfs.SecondaryNameNode.doCheckpoint(SecondaryNameNode.j
> ava:252)
>
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.dfs.SecondaryNameNode.run(SecondaryNameNode.java:181)

> org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException: Attempt to
> roll edit log but edits.new exists
>
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSEditLog.rollEditLog(FSEditLog.java:467)
>
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSNamesystem.rollEditLog(FSNamesystem.java:3239)
>
>         at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.rollEditLog(NameNode.java:544)

>         at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor18.invoke(Unknown
Source)