From "jason gessner" <ja...@multiply.org>
Subject Re: Compression using Hadoop...
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:46:58 GMT
if you put .gz files up on your HDFS cluster you don't need to do
anything to read them.  I see lots of extra control via the API, but i
have simply put the files up and run my jobs on them.

-jason

On 8/30/07, C G <parallelguy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello All:
>
>   I think I must be missing something fundamental.  Is it possible to load compressed
data into HDFS, and then operate on it directly with map/reduce?  I see a lot of stuff in
the docs about writing compressed outputs, but nothing about reading compressed inputs.