From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Map/Reduce without HDFS?
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:13:34 GMT
mfc wrote:
> How can this get higher on the priority list? Even just a single appender.

Fundamentally, priorities are set by those that do the work.  As a
volunteer organization, we can't assign tasks.  Folks must volunteer to
do the work.  Y! has volunteered more than others on Hadoop, but that
doesn't mean that anyone sets Y!'s priorities but Y!.

The surest way to make things happen here is to do them yourself.  If
you're not qualified, then you can either: become qualified; help in
other areas, where you are qualified, and hope this frees up folks to
work on what you want; or, you can politely express your interest and
patiently wait.

That said, we all benefit from knowing what features others want.  If a
vast number of people are interested in a feature, then that indicates
that the imolementation of that feature might bring new users.  And new
users typically bring new developers, and new developers make the
project stronger.  So please, don't hesitate to lodge feature requests
and to vote for existing feature requests, but it would be a mistake to
expect someone else to implement features on your schedule.

Cheers,

Doug