From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem submitting a job with hadoop 0.14.0
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:20:30 GMT
Thomas Friol wrote:
> Other question, : Why the 'hadoop.tmp.dir' is user.name dependant ?

We need a directory that a user can write and also not to interfere with
other users.  If we didn't include the username, then different users
would share the same tmp directory.  This can cause authorization
problems, if folks' default umask doesn't permit write by others.  It
can also result in folks stomping on each other, when they're, e.g.,
playing with HDFS and re-format their filesystem.

We should better document configuring things for fully distributed
operation.  In particular, we should probably recommend setting
mapred.system.dir in the "Fully Distributed Operation" section of:

http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/api/overview-summary.html#overview_description

The wiki should also probably describe this better.

Could you file a documentation bug?  Thanks!

Doug