From Phantom <ghostwhoowa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HDFS replica management
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:57:23 GMT
Here is the scenario I was concerned about. Consider three nodes in the
system A, B and C which are placed say in different racks. Let us say that
the disk on A fries up today. Now the blocks that were stored on A are not
going to re-replicated (this is my understanding but I could be wrong in
this assumption) to some other node or to the new disk with which you would
bring back A. Now a month later the disk of B could fry and then another
month later disk on C could fry. This way you could slowly start losing data
in the absence of a replica synchronization algorithm like that in S3. This
would never happen in S3 because there is always a replica synchronization
algorithm that is running to give the guarantee that there will always be 3
replicas in the system. So if a disk fries then the data is re-replicated.
Of course there is no way to protect oneself from 3 machines which store
replicas losing their disks at the same time.

So I was wondering if there is a replica synchronization algorithm in place
or is it a feature that is planned for the future.