From Raghu Angadi <rang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: New user question
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:44:26 GMT
Ankur Sethi wrote:

> Then what?  Can one bring up the new machine and start a namenode server and
> have it repopulate on its own?  Please explain?

If you bring up the new Namenode with same hostname and IP, then you
don't need to restart the Datanodes. If the hostname changes, then you
need to edit the configuration, distribute the configuration to other
nodes and restart the whole cluster.

Before bringing up the new Namenode, you need to copy ${dfs.name.dir}
directory from the original Namenode. By default, this is set to
${dfs.tmp.dir}/dfs/name. This directory has the filesystem image for the
cluster.

Raghu.