From Oliver Haggarty <oj...@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Subject Redirecting logs directory
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:36:00 GMT
Hi folks,

I have hadoop installed on an NFS, for which I have a file limit of
20000. I have the HDFS using the /tmp directory on several network machines.

Everything works fine, but I am finding that I regularly exceed my file
limit due to the number of log files that hadoop creates in
$HADOOP_INSTALL/hadoop-0.13.0/logs/.

I was wondering if there was a way to redirect the history and userlogs
to another location (ie the /tmp directory where I don't have a file
limit)? I have tried setting the hadoop.log.dir variable in the
conf/log4j.properties file, but this just seems to introduce errors when
running a mapreduce job, without actually changing the location to which
the log files are written.

Thanks for your time,

Ollie