From oj...@doc.ic.ac.uk
Subject Re: Running tasktrackers on datanodes
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:50:09 GMT
Hi Lucas,

Sounds strange, it should work. As long as you have all the names of
the slave machines in the slaves file the start-mapred script should
ssh into each one and start a tasktracker. Immediate thoughts are: Is
your ssh working? Is hadoop installed on the same directory structure
as on the machine you run the script from (ignore if running from NFS
mount). Have you looked in the error logs on the slave machines, there
might be some useful information there if the script tried to start a
tasktracker and failed? What does the console print when you run
hadoop-mapred.sh? It should say something like "machinex: starting
tasktracker, logging to /somefile/" for each machine listed in your
slaves file.

Good luck,
Ollie