From Enis Soztutar <enis.soz.nu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: noob
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:13:06 GMT
hank williams wrote:
> I am developing an application that is currently based on mysql. I
> believe
> it will require significant scaling and so I am exploring hadoop.
>
> I know nothing about map-reduce and am trying to figure out how it
> conceptually relates to simple things like CRUD. I guess I am just
> looking
> for a document or some simple explanation of how you use the map-reduce
> metaphor to do basic index, search, sort, insert type things.
>
> Any info and pointers greatly appreciated.
>
> Hank

The best way to learn what map reduce is and what is not, is to read the
original paper by google :
http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

then you may want to red :
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~pact2006/program/mapreduce-pact06-keynote.pdf

and yet a paper by microsoft employee:
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ralf/MapReduce/paper.pdf

and finally
Hung-Chih Yang, Ali Dasdan, Ruey-Lung Hsiao, D. Stott Parker (2007).
"Map-Reduce-Merge: Simplified Relational Data Processing on Large
Clusters". To appear in Proc. of SIGMOD'07. (This paper shows how to
extend MapReduce for relational data processing.)