From "Owen O'Malley" <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop on Mac OSX
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 22:35:30 GMT

On May 30, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Peter W. wrote:

> There are some steps needed to get Hadoop working on
> Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.x as single node, here they are:

On my powerbook (with OS X 10.4.9), I find it much better to use:

export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home

> instead, (as a kludge) use sudo or root to copy jar files to
> /Library/Java Extensions:

that's strange, I've never had to move files into the system
directories.

> in /opt/hadoop-0.12.3/bin/hadoop make these changes:
>
> JAVA=$JAVA_HOME/java
> #JAVA=$JAVA_HOME/bin/java

with a better JAVA_HOME, this shouldn't be necessary and I also don't
need to set JAVA_PLATFORM.

For a single node system, you also want to set in hadoop-site.xml:

<property>
   <name>dfs.safemode.extension</name>
   <value>0</value>
</property>

to keep the namenode from waiting 30 seconds for the "rest" of the
datanodes to  report in before it leaves safemode.