From "Dhruba Borthakur" <dhr...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: HDFS, appending-writes status
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 07:01:35 GMT
Hi Ali,

>From what I know, there are quite a few applications that need
append-to-exisiting-file feature. Since there is a demand for it, HDFS will
probably implement it in the near future. I do not know of precise
time-frames yet.

Do you have an application that requires appending-writes to files. If so,
it will be helpful to understand the type and behaviour of this application.

Thanks,
dhruba

-----Original Message-----
From: Ali Salehi [mailto:ali.salehi@epfl.ch]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:46 AM
To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: HDFS, appending-writes status

Hi,

 While I was reading the HDFS docs from the wiki, I bump into this
 sentence:

 "There is a plan to support appending-writes to a file in future"

 I would like to know, if possible, what is the time line for implementing
 this future.

Cheers,
AliS

Ali Salehi, LSIR - Distributed Information Systems Laboratory
EPFL-IC-IIF-LSIR, B√Ętiment BC, Station 14, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland.
http://lsirwww.epfl.ch/
email: ali.salehi@epfl.ch
Tel: +41-21-6936656 Fax: +41-21-6938115