From "Rob Styles" <Rob.Sty...@talis.com>
Subject NoClassDefFoundError running under Cygwin on Windows Server 2003
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:21:41 GMT
I've been trying to get Hadoop running under Cygwin on Windows Server
2003, using the Sun JDK.

Steps I had to take so far...

Dos2unix on all of the shell scripts, this may be down to the unzip on
my machine This solves the error:
	bin/hadoop: line 18: $'\r': command not found

Then I removed spaces from paths, as some of the scripts don't quote
paths. I saw this in the Jira already.

Now I'm stuck on:

	$ bin/hadoop dfs -ls
2003-x86-32

This seems to come from org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName

	$ java -cp hadoop-0.12.3-core.jar
org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName
	Windows 2003-x86-32

Which is used by bin/hadoop at line 134:

	JAVA_PLATFORM=`CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH} ${JAVA}
org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName`

Given that the error is the latter part of the PlatformName, following
the space it appears to be a quoting problem, so suggestions of how to
fix that would be helpful, but I'm also confused as the JAVA_PLATFORM is
then used to create [paths to native libraries:

	$ grep -n JAVA_PLATFORM bin/hadoop
	134:  JAVA_PLATFORM=`CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH} ${JAVA}
org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName`
	137:
JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH=${HADOOP_HOME}/build/native/${JAVA_PLATFORM}/lib
	142:
JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH=${JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH}:${HADOOP_HOME}/lib/native/${JAVA_
PLATFORM}
	144:
JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH=${HADOOP_HOME}/lib/native/${JAVA_PLATFORM}

My distro, taken from
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/hadoop/ doesn't contain a
build/native folder and ${HADOOP_HOME}/lib/native only contains a build
for Linux-i386-32.

Can anyone spot the obvious build/install step that I've missed, or
point me at relevant documentation? I searched the wiki and google-brain
already.

rob

Rob Styles
Programme Manager, Data Services, Talis
tel: +44 (0)870 400 5000
fax: +44 (0)870 400 5001
direct: +44 (0)870 400 5004
mobile: +44 (0)7971 475 257
msn: mmmmmrob@yahoo.com
irc: irc.freenode.net/mmmmmrob,isnick

The very latest from Talis
read the latest news at www.talis.com/news
listen to our podcasts www.talis.com/podcasts
see us at these events www.talis.com/events
join the discussion here www.talis.com/forums
join our developer community www.talis.com/tdn
and read our blogs www.talis.com/blogs

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information
Ltd. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential,
and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then
please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised
recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England
No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business
Park, B37 7YB.