From Hongbin Huang <huang_hong_...@yahoo.com.cn>
Subject Re: logging on Hadoop
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2007 04:51:22 GMT
Hi all,
I am evaluating a 5-nodes Nutch0.9/Hadoop0.12.2 cluster (4GB mem, 2xADM64bit CPU, 1.5TB storage)
in China, we are starting a vertical search engine project. After some more testing, we are
planning to scale it to 50-pc-based-nodes shortly.

We have been runing into similar logging issues.

My fix is to add one line "hadoop.log.file=hadoop.log.file" in the log4j.properties file:
log4j.logger.org.apache.nutch=INFO
log4j.logger.org.apache.hadoop=WARN
#
# Daily Rolling File Appender
#
hadoop.log.file=hadoop.log.file
log4j.appender.DRFA=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.DRFA.File=${hadoop.log.dir}/${hadoop.log.file}

After this, the following errors were gone:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: / (Is a directory)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)

Please try this. Hope this works for you also.
Regards
Hongbin

==========

Hi Mathijs,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 09:01:58PM +0200, Mathijs Homminga wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm a bit confused by the way logging works on Hadoop.
>In short, my question is: where does the log from my Nutch plugins end
>up when running on Hadoop?
>
>I'm running Nutch 0.9 on Hadoop 0.12.2.
>When I run my code on a single machine I can see that the log ends up in
>${hadoop.log.dir}/${hadoop.log.file}, as defined in the log4j.properties
>file (Nutch and my plugins use commons-logging).
>But when I use Hadoop, I can't find any logfile which contains log
>entries generated by the (map|reduce) tasks. However, I do find logfiles
>which contain log from Hadoop-related classes (like the tasktracker,
>jobtracker etc).

The logs from the map/reduce tasks go into the ${hadoop.log.dir}/userlogs/${taskid} directory.
They are in a specific format which aids browsing through the web-ui (webui steps: JT ->
job -> task -> tasklogs).

hth,
Arun

>I first thought it had something to do with HADOOP-406
>(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-406) which is about the
>fact that environment parameters passed to the parent JVM (like
>'hadoop.log.file') are not passed to the child JVM's. But even when I
>specify my log file explicitly (without the use of environment vars) in
>the log4j.properties, I still see no log entries other than the Hadoop
>classes.
>
>Any clues?
>Mathijs

抢注雅虎免费邮箱-3.5G容量,20M附件!