From Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: NoClassDefFoundError running under Cygwin on Windows Server 2003
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:45:08 GMT
Rob,

   Assuming you are using a release tarball (0.12.3), there are some
fixes in place for a similar problem, could you check if HADOOP-1081
helps you in anyway (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1081) ?

   Native hadoop libraries aren't supported yet on Cygwin, but that
shouldn't be a problem if you do not need the lzo compression stuff:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/NativeHadoop

hth,
Arun

Rob Styles wrote:
> I've been trying to get Hadoop running under Cygwin on Windows Server
> 2003, using the Sun JDK.
>
> Steps I had to take so far...
>
> Dos2unix on all of the shell scripts, this may be down to the unzip on
> my machine This solves the error:
> 	bin/hadoop: line 18: $'\r': command not found
>
> Then I removed spaces from paths, as some of the scripts don't quote
> paths. I saw this in the Jira already.
>
> Now I'm stuck on:
>
> 	$ bin/hadoop dfs -ls
> 	Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> 2003-x86-32
>
> This seems to come from org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName
>
> 	$ java -cp hadoop-0.12.3-core.jar
> org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName
> 	Windows 2003-x86-32
>
> Which is used by bin/hadoop at line 134:
>
> 	JAVA_PLATFORM=`CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH} ${JAVA}
> org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName`
>
> Given that the error is the latter part of the PlatformName, following
> the space it appears to be a quoting problem, so suggestions of how to
> fix that would be helpful, but I'm also confused as the JAVA_PLATFORM is
> then used to create [paths to native libraries:
>
> 	$ grep -n JAVA_PLATFORM bin/hadoop
> 	134:  JAVA_PLATFORM=`CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH} ${JAVA}
> org.apache.hadoop.util.PlatformName`
> 	137:
> JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH=${HADOOP_HOME}/build/native/${JAVA_PLATFORM}/lib
> 	142:
> JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH=${JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH}:${HADOOP_HOME}/lib/native/${JAVA_
> PLATFORM}
> 	144:
> JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH=${HADOOP_HOME}/lib/native/${JAVA_PLATFORM}
>
> My distro, taken from
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/hadoop/ doesn't contain a
> build/native folder and ${HADOOP_HOME}/lib/native only contains a build
> for Linux-i386-32.
>
> Can anyone spot the obvious build/install step that I've missed, or
> point me at relevant documentation? I searched the wiki and google-brain
> already.
>
> rob
>
> Rob Styles
> Programme Manager, Data Services, Talis
> tel: +44 (0)870 400 5000
> fax: +44 (0)870 400 5001
> direct: +44 (0)870 400 5004
> mobile: +44 (0)7971 475 257
> msn: mmmmmrob@yahoo.com
> irc: irc.freenode.net/mmmmmrob,isnick
>
> The very latest from Talis
> read the latest news at www.talis.com/news
> listen to our podcasts www.talis.com/podcasts
> see us at these events www.talis.com/events
> join the discussion here www.talis.com/forums
> join our developer community www.talis.com/tdn
> and read our blogs www.talis.com/blogs
>

> Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis
Information Ltd. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are
confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended
recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail
by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

> Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in
England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham
Business Park, B37 7YB.