From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Running on multiple CPU's
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:31:32 GMT
Ken Krugler wrote:
> Has anybody been using Hadoop with ZFS? Would ZFS count as a readily
> available shared file system that scales appropriately?

Sun's ZFS?  I don't think that's distributed, is it?  Does it provide a
single namespace across an arbitrarily large cluster?  From the
documentation I can find it just sounds like a better single-node
filesystem.  It'd be good for, e.g., mounting 40 1TB drives on a big Sun
box, but I don't see how it's meant to, e.g., stitch together 4,000
drives across a cluster of 1,000 nodes into a single filesystem.

There is also a distributed filesystem called zFS from IBM Haifa:

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/projects/storage/zFS/

But that's a research project.

Doug