From Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Pig | Yahoo! Research
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:59:46 GMT
I haven't been reading this list like I should...

Pig is meant to provide a more powerful and simple abstraction for writing
distributed processing logic than mapreduce by itself provides.

Power:

- We support joins.
- We provide the ability to select fields from records that will be passed to
a function so that general functions can be written and reused.
- We do some amount of optimization at the moment (more in the future) to
reduce the number of actual jobs that get run.

Simplicity:

- The model has one kind of function: an eval function. It processes one
record at a time. A dataset can have records grouped together or sorted or
filtered or have a projection applied to it, but functions just need to work
on one record at a time. If a=load 'dataset', MAP is foreach a generate
map(*) and REDUCE is b=group a by $0; foreach b generate reduce(*)
- Since Pig Latin is a simple language that can be used directly. We have a
simple interpreter called GRUNT that users can interact with to submit jobs.
- Eventually we would like to embed Pig Latin into Perl, Python and Ruby to
create Erlpay, Ythonpay and Ubyray, but we are a bit low on developer
bandwidth. We believe that by embedding Pig Latin into existing languages we
would end up with a much more powerful, well know, and natural environment to
work in as opposed to creating our own language like Sawzall.

ben