From "Eugene Weinstein" <euge...@cs.nyu.edu>
Subject Trying to bind to port -1
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:08:06 GMT
Hi there,

I'm a new user of Hadoop and I am having trouble getting the single-node
cluster to run. I'm following the instructions on the wiki, but I'm getting
the following error in the log file:

2007-02-14 19:36:34,887 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: port out of range:-1
        at java.net.InetSocketAddress.<init>(InetSocketAddress.java:118)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.createSocketAddr (DataNode.java
:104)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.<init>(DataNode.java:178)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.makeInstance(DataNode.java:1133)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.run (DataNode.java:1061)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.runAndWait(DataNode.java:1091)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.main(DataNode.java:1255)

I think maybe what's happening is that Hadoop is not finding the
hadoop-default.xml file and the -1 is a default value. In fact, when I move
hadoop-default.xml into a different location, the output is the same. I have
followed the instructions on the wiki with regard to setting environment
variables and everything else. If anybody knows how to fix this, please let
me know.

Thanks,
Eugene