From Venkat Seeth <sv...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Configuring different mapred.tasktracker.tasks.maximum per node
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:01:47 GMT
Thanks Andrzej for your quick response.

How do we manage hadoop-site.xml in CVS if we have
different versions of the file for different nodes.

Can we pass this value at runtime using
-Dmapred.tasktracker.tasks.maximum=N?

Or will it work is set as an ENV variable on the host?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Venkat

--- Andrzej Bialecki <ab@getopt.org> wrote:

> Venkat Seeth wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > Howdy. I've a quick question on configuring
> > mapred.tasktracker.tasks.maximum for a node in a
> > hadoop cluster.
> >
> > I have N nodes with 4-Dual-proc CPUs, 64GB Ram and
> > nodes with 2-Dual-proc CPUs, 8 GB Ram.
> >
> > I'd like to configure
> mapred.tasktracker.tasks.maximum
> > = 10 for N nodes and
> mapred.tasktracker.tasks.maximum
> > = 4 for M set of nodes.
> >
> > Can I do that and how. If I change hadoop-site.xml
> on
> > each of the nodes, will it work?
> >

> Yes. Each tasktracker gets this number from its
> local config in
> hadoop-site.xml, and then reports to the jobtracker,
> who in turn
> calculates the total capacity of the cluster.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrzej Bialecki     <><
> [__ || __|__/|__||\/|  Information Retrieval,
> Semantic Web
> ___|||__||  \|  ||  |  Embedded Unix, System
> Integration
> http://www.sigram.com  Contact: info at sigram dot
> com

Never miss an email again!