From amcn...@mcnabbs.org (Andrew McNabb)
Subject Re: Hadoop post-1.0 plans?
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:25:55 GMT
On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 07:03:17AM -0800, Lee wrote:
> Are you aware of the options for other languages to work with Hadoop
> already?  Hadoop streaming which can work with any language.  JRuby and
> Jython and any other Java VM language can be used.  I think the energy and
> time to port to C would be better spent elsewhere.

I use hadoop-streaming a lot, and I really like it, but it is a kludge.
It's a great kludge, but long-term, I think we would get much better
performance and flexibility with native libraries.  I'm a Python user,
so Ruby bindings wouldn't help much, but if there were a C library, I
could make things work.

Things work now, but it would be nice if we eventually had something
native.

Thanks.

--
Andrew McNabb