From "Bryan A. P. Pendleton" ...@geekdom.net>
Subject Re: Loadbalancing
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:57:08 GMT
Well, there are varying ways of "loadbalancing" that might apply. Right now,
you have to set how many jobs you want run per machine - if you have a wide
range of different numbers of CPUs (I have a cluster with machines with
everything from 1 CPU to 4 CPUs), this can matter.

However, the way map/reduce works, within the number of task instances you
want run *simultaneously*, you get a certain amount of automatic load
balancing if your jobs are large and there are many more tasks than
machines. In that case, fast machines will complete more tasks than slower
machines, effectively balancing load across your cluster. In my cluster,
some of the machines end up completing 2x-3x as many tasks as other, slower
machines, while they all keep busy for most of the run of the job.

--
Bryan A. P. Pendleton
Ph: (877) geek-1-bp