From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to say "Hadoop"
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:43:34 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> I think Hadoop is pronounced as h a:  - d u: p  with the emphasis on the
> second syllable.
> (key:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_chart_for_English)

I believe the first vowel there is properly ae (as in "cat"), but in
rapid speech this unstressed vowel turns to a schwa, so it doesn't
really matter.

There are regional variations.  In particular, in some areas (the kids
playroom in my house, for example) the stress is placed on the first
syllable.  But by the time you make it down the hall to my office the
stress generally shifts back to the second syllable.

Doug