From David Pollak <...@athena.com>
Subject some newby questions
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 00:03:23 GMT
Howdy,

Is there a way to store "by-product" data someplace where it can be
read?  For example, as I'm iterating over a collection of documents,
I want to generate some statistics about the collection, put those
stats "someplace" that can be accessed during future map-reduce
cycles.  Should I simply run a "faux" map-reduce cycle to count the
information and store it in a known location in the DFS?

Is there a way to map a collection of words or documents to
associated numbers so that indexing could be based on the word number
and/or document number rather than actual word and actual URL?
Because the reduce tasks take place in separate processes, it seems
that there's no way to coordinate the ordinal counting.

There's a MapFile construct that looks like it could be very useful
for my application, but there's no documentation for MapFile.  Does
anybody have pointers to documentation or example code?

Thanks,

David