From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject various questions
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:03:08 GMT
Hi,

I want to put Hadoop into my webapp and have it start up when the
servlet starts up.  Based on the shell scripts, I think I would need
to do the following:

1.  Package the appropriate libraries and config files (hadoop-site,
slaves, etc.) into the webapp

2. (based on start-all.sh)
      a. Start the namenode: org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode (need to
look into what is in the main() method to make sure I construct/
invoke this correctly)
      b. Start the datanode:  org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode
      c. Start the Jobtracker:  org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker
      d. Start the TaskTracker: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker

I am new to Hadoop, so is this reasonable?  What am I missing?

Also, is it possible to dynamically register slave nodes?  I have
been looking a little bit at zeroconf/bonjour network stuff and was
wondering if it could be used to bring resources online automatically
(would limit the nodes to a subnet, but that is fine for my needs).

Thanks,
Grant

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer