From Konstantin Shvachko <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Safe Mode
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:25:06 GMT
This means that the namenode is in safe mode, see description here
http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/docs/api/org/apache/hadoop/dfs/NameNode.html#setSafeMode(org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSConstants.SafeModeAction)

Start-all.sh starts JobTracker before the namenodes leaves safe mode. At
startup JobTracker is trying to remove
temporary directories from DFS (not from your local fs), and gets this
exception.
I'd recommend to first use start-dfs.sh, then using namenode web UI
verify everything is running and safe mode is off.
Then run start-mapred.sh.

If you start the cluster after re-formatting safe mode is not entered
since dfs is empty.

Konstantin