From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Formatting the Namenode
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:39:28 GMT
This refers to formatting Hadoop's DFS filesystem, not formatting a
linux volume.  Hadoop's DFS filesystem in implemented on top the local
filesystems of your cluster.  Hadoop does not require reformatting of
linux filesystem volumes.  Formatting a Hadoop DFS filesystem simply
creates a few files and directories in a configured location on your
local filesystem (removing any files that already existed there).

Does that make more sense?

Doug