From "Yoram Arnon" <yar...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Rebalancing a DFS cluster
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:14:41 GMT
Online, you can copy files/folders to a new location, then delete the
original and rename. The new data will be uniformly distributed. Distcp is
useful for copying around large amounts of data.
Offline, you can move dfs block files from old machines to the new machine
(scp src:<dfs.data.dir>/blk_????? dst:<dfs.data.dir>).
On startup, each datanode will report its blocks to the namenode and the
namenode will make sense of it all.

There's no fancy method of rebalancing, let alone proportional block
assignment.

Yoram