From "Mahadev Konar" <maha...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Formatting the Namenode
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:41:22 GMT
Hi Howard,
  The formatting of the filesystem is with respect to Hadoop File System. It
does not involve formatting your local file system. All you need to do is

bin/hadoop namenode -format.

This command just creates some files for the namenode in the directory
specified as dfs.name.dir. Also, Hadoop does work on Windows. You will need
to install cygwin.

Regards
Mahadev