From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Executing hadoop binded on localhost
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:44:36 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> I don't know Hadoop's internals well, but it seems to me that an
> additional configuration could do the trick, e.g.
>
>     String itfAddr = conf.getString("ipc.server.listen.address")
>     address = (itfAddr == null) ? new InetSocketAddress(port) : new
> InetSocketAddress(itfAddr, port);
>
> How does that sound?

I'm not sure why you'd want this.  The previously mentioned patch
addresses the datanode and tasktracker, which must provide an address
for peers to contact.  The namenode and jobtracker's public address is
already determined by a config setting.  So, while it is true that these
daemons listen on all interfaces, they're only contacted on the single
interface specified in the configuration.

The only reason I can see for the change you suggest (restricting
daemons to only listen on a single interface) is security: you'd like
these daemons to not be visible over the private address.  Is that
indeed your concern?  If so, can this instead be managed with a firewall?

Doug