From Konstantin Shvachko <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Some queries about stability and reliability
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:57:13 GMT
Hi Jagadeesh,

>I am very much new to Hadoop and would like to know some details about the
>reliability and stability. I am developing flickr kind of an application for
>storing and sharing movies and would like to use Hadoop as my storage
>backend. I am planning to put in atleast 100 nodes and would like to know
>more about the product. I will appreciate if you could answer some of my
>queries.

This is a very interesting application for Hadoop.
Did you have any progress with the system?

>1.	Is the product matured enough for using in an application like this?

Yes.

>2.	Has somebody tested it using atleast 100 nodes?

Yes, there are even larger installations.

>3.	Can I have multiple master nodes in Hadoop to do load balancing and
>fail-overs?

Not yet.

>4.	What is the maximum number of simultaneous connections possible in
>Hadoop?

Hadoop is designed to support and actually supports high volume of
simultaneous connections.
E.g., on a 100 node cluster an extensive map-reduce job can generate 400
concurrent connections.

Creation time and date is not implemented for DFS files.
Do you have a good application for ctime?

Thank you,

--Konstantin