From "Paul Sutter" <sut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Task type priorities during scheduling ?
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:01:00 GMT
First, It matters in the case of concurrent jobs. If you submit a 20
minute job while a 20 hour job is running, it would be nice if the
reducers for the 20 minute job could get a chance to run before the 20
hour job's mappers have all finished. So even without a throughput
improvement, you have an important capability (although it may require
another minor tweak or two to make possible).

Secondarily, we often have stragglers, where one mapper runs slower
than the others. When this happens, we end up with a largely idle
cluster for as long as an hour. In cases like these, good support for
concurrent jobs _would_ improve throughput.

Paul