From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What about append in hadoop files ?
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:28:54 GMT
drwho wrote:
> If so, GFS, is also suitable only for large, offline, batch computations ?
> I wonder how Google is going to use GFS for writely or their online
> spreadsheet or their  BigTable (their gigantic relational DB).

Did I say anything about GFS?  I don't think so.  Also, I said,
"currently" and "primarily", not "forever" and "exclusively".  I would
love for DFS to be more suitable for online, incremental stuff, but
we're a ways from that right now.  As I said, we're pursuing
reliability, scalability and performance before features like append.
If you'd like to try to implement append w/o disrupting work on
reliability scalability and performance, we'd welcome your
contributions.  The project direction is determined by contributors.

Note that BigTable is a complex layer on top of GFS that caches and
batches i/o.  So, while GFS does implement some features that DFS still
does not (like appends), GFS is probably not used directly by, e.g.,
writely.  Finally, BigTable is not relational.

Doug