From drwho <drwho102003-had...@yahoo.com>
Subject DFS question: does append-only means faster updates ?
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:23:02 GMT
Hi,

I've always wondered if a lack of overwrite / random-write op means that updates are much
faster than convention filesystems..

The fact that both (dfs, gfs) support delete op, does it mean that
fragmentation will still be a big problem ?  Bcoz of snapshots, I note that delete actually
doesn't blow away the data until it is garbage-collected.
But after gc, we should see some big holes...

Also, would the lack of overwrite / random-write ops mean that the filesystem is less suitable
for apps like online word-processor or even online spreadsheet / database ?

Thx.