From "Yoram Arnon" <yar...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Task type priorities during scheduling ?
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:46:58 GMT
There is, actually, support for multiple jobs. Maps are scheduled separately
from reduces, and when the current job can not saturate the cluster then the
next job's tasks get scheduled, and the next. I've seen several small jobs
execute concurrently on my largish clusters.
Reduces for a given job won't get scheduled before maps of that job are
scheduled, but that makes perfect sense - they'll have no work to do. Once
map tasks start getting scheduled though, if there are available reduce
slots, they'll get assigned reduce tasks.

Yoram

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Sutter [mailto:sutter@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:01 AM
To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Task type priorities during scheduling ?

First, It matters in the case of concurrent jobs. If you submit a 20
minute job while a 20 hour job is running, it would be nice if the
reducers for the 20 minute job could get a chance to run before the 20
hour job's mappers have all finished. So even without a throughput
improvement, you have an important capability (although it may require
another minor tweak or two to make possible).

Secondarily, we often have stragglers, where one mapper runs slower
than the others. When this happens, we end up with a largely idle
cluster for as long as an hour. In cases like these, good support for
concurrent jobs _would_ improve throughput.

Paul