From Philippe Gassmann <philippe.gassm...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Configuration policy
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:00:02 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:

> My general approach is that only things that the user/application
> should never change are in hadoop-site. Largely, this is limited to
> the namenode/jobtracker addresses, port, and directories.
In the hadoop-site.xml file you have : dfs.data.dir
This property is used by the servers to indicate where to store data.
This property is also used by the client. When creating
DFSClient.DFSOutputStream, a temporary file is created in
${dfs.data.dir}/tmp. I think this is not the right thing to do, because
you need to maintain on the client machine, the same directory structure
(including rights on them) as in the servers. And when, for instance,
you try to install an hadoop server and a client on the same machine for
testing purpose, you have to cope with terrible things...

Cheers,
Philippe.