From Gianlorenzo Thione <thi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple tasktrackers per node
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 05:51:28 GMT
Thanks for the answer. So far I am still trying to understand how
each tasktracker gets multiple map or reduce tasks to be executed
simultaneously. I have run a simple job with 53 map tasks on 5 nodes,
and at all times each node was executing a single task. Each cluster
node is a 4 core machine, so theoretically this was a 16-node cluster
and I feel that the resources were actually underutilized. Am I
missing something? Is there a parameter for a minimum number of tasks
to be executed in parallel (I found a parameter for setting a maximum
[which I set to 4])? If I run 4 TaskTrackers per node then each node
gets a map task at the same time and execution seems overall much
faster.

I'd appreciate help and insights with respect to this matter.
Eventually each map task in our application will synchronize with an
external single-threaded cpu-intensive process to process data (thus
using the tasktracker as a driver for these processes). We need to
make sure that each node is utilized at its maximum capacity at all
times by running 4 instances of those single-threaded processes and
in order to achieve that we'd need each TaskTracker being handed on
average 4 map jobs at a time, each to be run concurrently in a
different thread. Is there a way to guarantee that this happen? In
alternative we can  always run 4 TaskTracker per node, which was our
original plan, but if there are better/smarter way to do this, that
would be the best solution.

Thanks in advance!

Lorenzo Thione