From Krzysztof Kucybała <krzysztof.kucyb...@softwaremind.pl>
Subject Hadoop + WinXP + cygwin
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 12:39:32 GMT
Hi!

I am new to hadoop as well as cygwin, and as far as I know, you need to
use cygwin in order to use hadoop on win. Unfortunately I'm not allowed
to switch to linux or even use a linux machine to get the dfs running.
Seems there's no other way but the cygwin-way, is there? Anyways, I was
wondering, is there a way to get hadoop daemons running via cygwin, and
then quit the latter? Cause I think I got the namenode and datanode
running (how can I test that, by the way - other than by writing "ps" in
cygwin? Does writing the address and port of the node in a browser and
waiting for the outcome, which is a blank-but-not-error page, tell me
anything about whether the dfs is configured correctly?), yet if I close
cygwin, the daemons shutdown too.

And there's another thing I'd like to ask. I'm writing a Java program
that is supposed to connect to a dfs. As much as I've read the API docs,
I suppose I should use the DistributedFileSystem class, shouldn't I? But
what does creating it's instance actually do? Create me a new filesystem
or rather just a connection to an existing one? What I do is specify a
InetSocketAddress and a Configuration. Can the configuration object be
created using the hadoop-defaul.xml and hadoop-site.xml files?

I know these questions probably sound stupid, but still I'd really
appreciate if someone provided me with some answers. I'm a true beginner
  in the matters of hadoop and cygwin, and I'm also quite new to Java,
so please - be gentle ;o)

Regards,
--
Krzysztof Kucybała
Software Mind | Where Quality Meets the Future

e-mail: krzysztof.kucybala@softwaremind.pl
skype: krzysztof.kucybala
tel./fax: +48-12 614 51 70
http://www.softwaremind.pl

****************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER**********************
This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information that
is confidential and/ or protected by intellectual property rights and
are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above, at the
e-mail address to which it has been addressed. Any use of the
information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by
persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either
by telephone on +48-12 6145170 or by e-mail and delete the material
from any computer. Please note that we accept no responsibility for
viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).