From "Scott Simpson" <ssimp...@InterchangeUSA.com>
Subject Confusion about the Hadoop conf/slaves file
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 01:17:19 GMT
It seems that the Hadoop conf/slaves file designates 2 things:

1. Where Hadoop should be running (which must be on the search nodes and
the crawl nodes at least with Nutch).
2. Which machines are used for a MapReduce operation.

Suppose I want to run Nutch 0.8 searches on separate machines than I
crawl on. Is there a way to separate this so my crawling operation
(MapReduce) doesn't happen on my search machines?

Also, is there any to specify the placement of segments on machines?
That is, what if I want all my segments on different nodes than those I
run searches on?