From stack <st...@archive.org>
Subject Re: Disappearing TaskTrackers (Was: Pulsing TaskTrackers)
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2006 03:33:18 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
> stack wrote:
>> Is there a configurable timeout that says how long jobtrackers wait
>> on communique from tasktrackers?

It looks like its my job thats the problem.  I've moved to new hardware
and os and the /tmp dir is of a smaller size over-filling with temporary
files as the job ran failing silently.  Now the tasktrackers stick around.

Upping the hardcoded timeout from 60seconds to ten minutes also helped.
I see some tasks in jobtracker.jsp with times-since-last-communication
north of 60 seconds that subsequently recover.  Perhaps I should add a
patch that makes this configurable?

> I think I see what the problem is.  The job jar is copied out of dfs
> to the local filesystem in the top-level loop of the tasktracker, not
> in the TaskRunner, which runs as a separate thread.  This can cause
> tasktrackers to time out.  So we should move that part of
> localizeTask() into TaskRunner.run() to avoid this.

Perhaps.  My job jar is large.  Its nutch and then some.

Thanks,
St.Ack