hadoop-common-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Travis Thompson (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (HADOOP-10409) Bzip2 error message isn't clear
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2014 01:15:43 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10409?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13935912#comment-13935912
] 

Travis Thompson commented on HADOOP-10409:
------------------------------------------

I'd be happy to, I've been meaning to document my build process as it is.

> Bzip2 error message isn't clear
> -------------------------------
>
>                 Key: HADOOP-10409
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10409
>             Project: Hadoop Common
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: io
>    Affects Versions: 2.3.0
>            Reporter: Travis Thompson
>
> If you compile hadoop without {{bzip2-devel}} installed (on RHEL), bzip2 doesn't get
compiled into libhadoop, as is expected.  This is not documented however and the error message
thrown from {{hadoop checknative -a}} is not helpful.
> {noformat}
> [tthompso@eat1-hcl4060 bin]$ hadoop checknative -a
> 14/03/13 00:51:02 WARN bzip2.Bzip2Factory: Failed to load/initialize native-bzip2 library
system-native, will use pure-Java version
> 14/03/13 00:51:02 INFO zlib.ZlibFactory: Successfully loaded & initialized native-zlib
library
> Native library checking:
> hadoop: true /export/apps/hadoop/hadoop-2.3.0.li7-1-bin/lib/native/libhadoop.so.1.0.0
> zlib:   true /lib64/libz.so.1
> snappy: true /usr/lib64/libsnappy.so.1
> lz4:    true revision:99
> bzip2:  false 
> 14/03/13 00:51:02 INFO util.ExitUtil: Exiting with status 1
> {noformat}
> You can see that it wasn't compiled in here:
> {noformat}
> [mislam@eat1-hcl4060 ~]$ strings /export/apps/hadoop/latest/lib/native/libhadoop.so |
grep initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_lz4_Lz4Compressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_lz4_Lz4Decompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_snappy_SnappyCompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_snappy_SnappyDecompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_zlib_ZlibCompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_zlib_ZlibDecompressor_initIDs
> {noformat}
> After installing bzip2-devel and recompiling:
> {noformat}
> [tthompso@eat1-hcl4060 ~]$ hadoop checknative -a
> 14/03/14 23:00:08 INFO bzip2.Bzip2Factory: Successfully loaded & initialized native-bzip2
library system-native
> 14/03/14 23:00:08 INFO zlib.ZlibFactory: Successfully loaded & initialized native-zlib
library
> Native library checking:
> hadoop: true /export/apps/hadoop/hadoop-2.3.0.11-2-bin/lib/native/libhadoop.so.1.0.0
> zlib:   true /lib64/libz.so.1
> snappy: true /usr/lib64/libsnappy.so.1
> lz4:    true revision:99
> bzip2:  true /lib64/libbz2.so.1
> {noformat}
> {noformat}
> tthompso@esv4-hcl261:~/hadoop-common(li-2.3.0⚡) » strings ./hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/native/target/usr/local/lib/libhadoop.so
|grep initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_lz4_Lz4Compressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_lz4_Lz4Decompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_snappy_SnappyCompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_snappy_SnappyDecompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_zlib_ZlibCompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_zlib_ZlibDecompressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_bzip2_Bzip2Compressor_initIDs
> Java_org_apache_hadoop_io_compress_bzip2_Bzip2Decompressor_initIDs
> {noformat}
> The error message thrown should hint that perhaps libhadoop wasn't compiled with the
bzip2 headers installed.  It would also be nice if compile time dependencies were documented
somewhere... :)



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.2#6252)

Mime
View raw message